Friday, February 24, 2006

Customer service

What's up with Starbucks? They seem to be handing out free drink coupons like crazy. Or maybe it's just because I look a little crazed. Not that I'm complaining. About the coupons, that is.

Two weeks ago I went to Starbucks and ordered my regular venti, non-fat, sugar-free vanilla latte. The first sip was rich, thick and smooth; obviously not the thin, watery, barely-related-to-a-cow taste of skim milk. The barrista had made the mistake, and immediately offered to make me the correct drink. That's all I expected - make the customer happy.

The coupon she brought over with my drink and an apology was the whipped cream on the cinnamon dolce frappuccino. It's good for any drink they serve.

This morning I joined the line of cars snaking out from the Starbucks drive through. Lower-fat blueberry muffin and a venti, non-fat, sugar-free hazelnut latte, please. Coasted up to the window.

Where is everyone?

Guy comes to take my debit card, runs it, hands over the receipt and leaves the window. Huh? He comes back with the muffin, and tells me the coffee will be ready in just a minute. He leaves again - ?

I'm sitting there , singing along to the radio, in no great hurry to get to work. (I can't speak for the four cars behind me). After about half a song the barrista comes to the window with my drink and a coupon for a free drink, with apologies for the short wait.

Maybe they just wanted me to quit singing...

At any rate, I now have two free drink coupons. Would anyone like to join me for coffee?

No comments: