Sunday, March 11, 2018

Lists Day Eleven: Things I'd Like to Learn

I'm a firm believer in being a lifelong learner. It doesn't matter if you are learning higher level physics or how to tie new knots as long as your mind is engaged in making new neural pathways as it works its way around a new subject or skill.

That said, there are a few things I'd like to take the time to learn.

- Languages. I pick up languages very, very quickly, but unless I have the chance to practice them, my interest tapes off. While I'm one of the few people who can actually stick to and learn from a program like Rosetta Stone, I really need to augment it with in-person sessions. Which languages? Review Spanish so I can regain the fluency I had in High School.  French. Italian. Maybe branch out into something like Arabic. Anything is possible.

- Entire books of the Bible. Memorization comes fairly easily for me (and is a big aid in learning languages). It's about time I started memorizing entire books of the Bible, instead of verses and shorter passages.

- Woodworking or something similar. Just because.

- Sketching/painting. My grandmother was a painter, and gave all the grandkids lessons of a sort when we were very young. I'm a very language/word oriented soul, and I'd like to try expressing myself more often in sketches.

Eh. The list really is too long for this page. I'll take almost any opportunity to learn something new. I'm a sucker for those "odd facts" type memes, which will often be a springboard for a deeper dive into a subject.

Keeping your mind active is suppposed to be one of the ways to stave off some of the afflictions common to older folk. My body may be falling apart, but my mind is sharp.

No comments: