Friday, January 16, 2015

Powered down

It's been a tired, draggy sort of week. A head cold lurks nearby, close enough to block my sinuses just a bit and sap my energy, but not quite so bad it needs full-on cold remedy action. Getting enough sleep always helps me to recover from these sorts of things. Like a wounded animal, I go to ground when I don't feel well, sleeping ten hours a night and napping most of the day. I am most definitely a believer in the restorative power of sleep.

Accordingly, I managed to get to bed minutes after eight o'clock last night, snuggling in, knowing I'd gained an hour or more extra shut-eye to help get me through to the three day weekend, when I could sleep to my hearts content.

Two hours later, I woke up abruptly. Something was wrong.

No hum of the refrigerator. No muted roar of the furnace. No pattern of mini-blind slats on the ceiling.

The power had gone out.

During the twenty years I lived at the old flat, I can count on one hand the number of times the power went out. All of those times, with one exception, were during severe thunderstorms (the last was due to an adventurous squirrel checking out a transformer). This is the third outage at the condo, all three coming in totally clear weather.

Did the neighbors call it in or not? Not wanting to assume, I groped my way down the hall, through the loft, down the stairs, through the living room and to the dining room to get the phone. Reversed the process, then pulled up We Energies on the smart phone. They have a wonderful on-line reporting tool, and a quick look and call to their automated service informed me that they did indeed know about the outage, and expected to have it fixed within an hour and a half.

That's a relief; while I know where the bypass is on the garage door, I highly doubt I'd be able to lift the door up on my own. Underground parking is no advantage when the power goes out.

Naturally, I didn't fall back asleep easily. Usually, I wake up on my own about ten minutes before the alarm is set. Today, the alarm rang for more than a minute while I fumbled to find it. I have a feeling it is going to be a long, foggy day.

At least is is a long weekend. Lots of time to nap and recover. This is the first year in a long time that I didn't come down with a raging cold just before the Christmas break. I'd like to stay reasonably healthy this winter, if at all possible. Hot soup, lots of naps, not doing much - a quiet weekend end and a bit of self care should keep this cold at bay. Hopefully.

Obviously, the power came back on. I think there are only four clocks to reset (my clock radio has a battery back up) - stove, coffeemaker and the the two timers I use on the living room lamps. Everything else resets itself.

I wish I had a reset button.


melissa said...

So sorry your under the weather. Us too. And glad your power outage was cleared up quickly. Not fun, especially when it's so cold. Rest. Likin' the sound of that. Hope your today goes well.

Diane said...

It must have been cleared just after I fell asleep - the living room light is on a timer, and didn't come on more than forty-five minutes later than it usually would.

Since it's the day before a holiday weekend, we will probably get permission to leave an hour early - yay!