Saturday, March 16, 2013

Well begun is...

...not anywhere near half done.

The day began remarkably well. After waking up at my rapidly-becoming-a-habit 2:57 a.m., I fell back asleep almost instantly, and slept well until close to six thirty. A miracle.

Some messing around on the computer, a long shower and a bathroom cleaning later, I wandered downstairs for breakfast. Fried potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and green peppers, and a three egg omelet. My big cast iron pan has been acting up lately - pretending it's not correctly seasoned, holding on to bits and pieces of things and generally being a pain. Today, nothing stuck, with even the eggs releasing easily and completely.

The liberal use of olive oil may have had something to do with that.

A second cup of coffee with yesterday's General Hospital, and I was ready to move books into the sewing studio.

I managed to go through the big binders of purchased patterns and those torn from magazines, as well as shelve a few other quilting books, before I realized I suddenly felt sick to my stomach, with a headache that threatened to sever my head from my body every time I moved it. Huh? The last time I felt like this, it was in college, when I laid down for a nap and woke up with the flu.

Maybe reversing the process would work - feel sick, take a nap, then feel better. It was worth a try.

I do feel better, though the Excedrin migraine may have something to do with that. It won't do much for my habit of waking up in the middle of the night (the "migraine" ingredient is a healthy dose of caffeine, which helps dilate the blood vessels in the brain whose constriction causes the headache). But I'm ready to get back to it.

Beef stew meat is thawing in a bowl in the sink, for Pioneer Woman's Beef Stew with Mushrooms. Two enormous turkey thighs are baking, so the meat can be used for an awesome Tex-Mex Soup for the freezer. I've refueled with peanut butter on an english muffin.

This day really isn't all about food, no matter how much it may seem that way.

As I'm shelving things, I'm culling through the patterns, books and magazines, slowing the process a little. Given how long I've been quilting, it's not surprising that my tastes, not to mention the current fads, in quilting have changed.

Getting the studio set means the living room will no longer be strewn with random books and quilting supplies. Assuming I can get it at least emptied and straightened by the end of the weekend (it would really be nice to have a room other than the bathroom completely picked up and clean), and if we get any sun, I'll take some "after" pictures of the painting and rearranging.

Vacation begins on Friday - a week I'd like to spend sewing, reading and generally enjoying myself, rather than still cleaning, sorting and organizing. The unexpected ill feelings may have derailed me temporarily, but I'm determined to finish over this weekend.

Wish me luck.


melissa said...

Golly gosh, madam. You're so busy being productive (which I know makes you feel good deep inside) that I hope you throw in some fun time. I have a hard time with this, and since I think we have similar personalities---just wanted to remind you. :) Nudge, nudge.

Much love, lovey.

Diane said...

LOL. What is this "fun" you speak of? I just did a list of things I'd like to get done today...I stopped at #16.

Setting up the studio is fun, even if it is taking forever. I am meeting a friend for coffee this afternoon, which is also fun. But I'd like to get at least eight of those things on the list done before I go. Work before fun, I guess.