Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What's Up Wednesday 011613

Katherine over at Just a Thought runs a meme called "What's Up Wednesdays". It seems I have little but snippets to share lately, so I figured I'd play along.

Everything that's "up" focuses on the future. It's a long weekend - hurrah! I just rearranged a hair appointment, freeing up Saturday morning. Other than a machine embroidery class on Monday afternoon, I have zero obligations.

And I plan to keep it that way.

A long, thin box showed up on my doorstep last night. I'd been expecting the fabric yardage for the valance for the sewing room (Waverly Romeo), but didn't expect them to send it wound around it's very own cardboard tube. Since it's wound at full width, the box was 54"  long. I already have the lining fabric. It's time to start cutting and sewing really, really long pieces of fabric.

The major theme for the weekend is organization, for the sewing studio in particular. All of the pieces are in place - plastic drawer sets, hanging cubbies, rolling chair and some other storage solutions. What better way to spend a cold winter day than messing around with all your sewing stuff and fabric stash?

All good things come to an end, and I'm almost at the end of my frozen soup stash. There's no more room in the pantry for empty containers, either. Chicken vegetable and Italian Beef with Barley for the freezer, and perhaps creamy Chicken with Wild Rice for eating are on the menu. The overgrown whole chicken taking up half a freezer shelf will be sacrificed for the meat needed for the soups.

I'm in the middle of several books right now, and I can't find the Kindle that has everything organized as to what I'm currently reading. I've been reading on the Fire and on the computer, neither of which allow you to organize or categorize your library. I do know I'm in the middle of C. S. Lewis' Perelandra, a quarter of the way through a Kathy Reichs' novel, almost done with Margaret Kim Petersons' Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday and part way through a quilter's skillbuilder book. Unfortunately, I do think I've started several others, like Stephen Moore's Who's the Fairest of Them All?: The Truth About Opportunity, Taxes and Wealth in America, and Wordsmithy from Douglas Wilson.

You can't say I'm not fairly diverse in my reading. But at some point fairly soon, I need to finish up all I've started so I can start on the rest of the pile. Not unlike my quilting.

Tonight, like last night and tomorrow night, is set aside for preparation for the weekend. Clean the house. Go through some paperwork. Get things ready for doing the taxes (by the way, the IRS is not officially "opening" the 2012 tax season until January 30th. I suspect they are waiting to have enough cash on hand to pay out what they expect to receive in refund requests during the first rush). Put the shelves back up in the alcove bookcase. Puttering, in other words.

No comments: