Saturday, September 15, 2012

Later Saturday afternoon

It's almost time for me to clean myself up, then do a last check on the house and the kitchen. I enjoy having people over, but sometimes the whole single hostess thing gets to be a bit overwhelming. Thankfully, most of the cooking was done ahead of time - main meat cooked and frozen two weeks ago, the twice baked potatoes made last night. The red pepper dip took minutes to make this morning. The only major cooking today involved a tomato-onion-cheese tart. Even that would have been a breeze had I remembered to buy frozen pie crust rather than having to make one from scratch.

But I did make a crust (two, actually, so tomorrow's lunch may be quiche). The tart is sitting on the counter cooling, the incredible scent tempting me to cut into it now, rather than wait.

Truthfully, I could do with a nap.

It's not so much the getting ready for company, but the coffee-induced shortness of sleep from Thursday night combined with the up-for-an-hour-in-the-middle-of-the-night adventure from last night that has me a bit run down.

Ah, well. Tomorrow's docket is empty except for church, with the bonus that there will be leftovers, a moderately clean house and two new books to read in a sunny corner.

You really can't ask for much more.

No comments: