Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What month is it?

I'm all confused. Since the World's Longest Non-Motorized Parade and the Western Days festival was cancelled this year for lack of funds to pay the Fair Park's exorbitant rent, my June is all messed up. Normally, we would have hundreds of horses streaming down the street on the second Thursday in June. It's been that way since I was a little girl a long, long, long time ago. Then, over the weekend closest to the fourth of July, the NASCAR Busch series would come to town. That's been going on for ten years or so...can't remember for sure, although I went to the first race.

Instead, the series is in town THIS weekend - a whole lot more horsepower than the Western Days parade, and no need for street sweepers. It's a night race, lit up with monstrous temporary lights (just a historical side note here - it was ChampCar who first ran a night race at the Mile; it was beyond cool to see those cars at 180 mph under the lights, and it was way beyond cool to sit on aluminum bleachers at night in 40 degree weather).

So anyway, when the trailers and transporters began to show up earlier this week, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Once the hospitality tents started rising on the south end of the track, my internal light bulbs finally went on. Only now I think it's the fourth of July, and I'm craving Cracker Jack.

Someone clue me in when we reach Memorial Day Labor Day. I think I can recognize Christmas on my own.

No comments: