Thursday, December 07, 2006

Who'd a thunk?

Your Language Arts Grade: 100%

Way to go! You know not to trust the MS Grammar Check and you know "no" from "know." Now, go forth and spread the good word (or at least, the proper use of apostrophes).

Are You Gooder at Grammar?
Make a Quiz



Via Jordana. It should come as no surprise that I just read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". What astounds me is that even grammar changes over time (albeit much more slowly than some other things - like, say, glaciers) and I'm now old enough to be using some outdated rules. I have a regular argument with the admin assistant upstairs about the placement of the period at the end of a sentence whose final clause is in quotes (see first sentence above). She says the final period goes inside the quotes; I say it goes outside. Apparently, modern American English usage now places it as she says - inside the quotes. The Brits still place it where it really belongs - outside the quotes. It just looks more elegant (and seems to me more logical) to put it outside.

So, even if I totally forget all the rules when writing here, at you know I know them!

No comments: