Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Four weddings, but no funeral. Unless it's mine.

Invitations have arrived for three weddings for this September. That makes four total for the year so far, not counting the three weddings of not-quite-close-enough-to-warrant-feeding-me friends/acquaintances that I didn't receive invites for.

Yikes, can we say broke? The plan was to make Christmas tree skirts as wedding gifts; I have the fabric and other materials, but am running out of time. The "four quilt tops finished in six weeks" spurt of creativity from Memorial Day to the 4th of July appears to have run its course. Can I do it? Should I even try?

It's not as bad as it seems; one wedding I'm not planning on attending, and I can send them a gift afterwards. One invitation came as a complete surprise; I have known the groom since I taught him when he was a two year old in Sunday school, and the bride since she was in AWANA, but I'm not really close to either. I think it was the groom's mom (long time church friend) who wanted me there. This young couple is going through a lot of job-related testing, and could really use cash rather than gifts. Give cash and send a tree skirt later? The third wedding is the one I can't get out of going to, as much as I would like to simply stay home. They will not be getting cash, and since the bride already has a quilt I made, I'm not sure I want to go through the effort of making something else. I probably will anyway...

Thanks - having a place to babble cut the number of gifts to make on a deadline down to one; as long as the others are done before Christmas, I'll be fine. Now, where is the rotary cutter?

No comments: