Monday, April 24, 2006

End of an era

Tomorrow morning signals the end of an era. After twenty-five years of faithful service, my trusty Kenmore 10 sewing machine is going to a new home.

Laugh if you want, but that sewing machine was the most useful, well-loved college graduation present I received.

Mom kept trying to make me guess what my gift was. As a business major, I had certain things in mind.

"Is it bigger than a breadbox?"

"Yes"

That let out the gold Cross pen and pencil set.

"Does it have a lock on it?"

"No."

That let out the briefcase.

This went on for a couple of weeks, through finals and the week before the party. My mom was so very pleased with herself over this gift that I was convinced it would be terrible. After all, I was the first one in the family to graduate from college, and there was no way my working class parents knew enough about the business world I was entering to get me something that would be appropriate.

My mom, however, knew me well enough. That's what really counted.

Tomorrow morning it is going to a woman at church who will love it and use it as much as I did. It's great to know it is going to someone who knows how to sew, rather than someone who simply wants it for mending. It has a lot of service left in it, and I pray it will be a blessing.

No comments: