Thursday, March 09, 2006

Where I am the bad guy

This afternoon I had to say no to a coworker who wanted to take two days off later this month without using vacation days. She planned to come in on Saturday for six hours to move her desk, and then put in an extra hour a day to make up the rest of the time.

Ordinarily, making up an hour or two during the week in order to leave early another day is not an issue. The problem here is the Saturday hours. We are exempt employees, but company policy does not allow "comp time" of any kind. We do allow flex time in the summer, but under very specific guidelines: you can work longer hours on certain days in order to make up for an afternoon off per week, or one full day every two weeks, provided you have set hours and your supervisor approves it in advance.

There is no need for her to come in on the weekend to move cubes: this move has been in the works for over a month, and fifteen minutes a day of moving and cleaning the new cube would have taken care of things. She has been telling me she was taking these days off for the last couple of weeks, but only when I received the time off request today did I know exactly what she planned to do.

So now I'm the witch bad guy that won't let her do what she wants.

Funny thing, though. If she felt so strongly that she was right in what she was requesting, she could have gone to my supervisor and had my decision reversed. So far, I haven't heard from him that that is the case.

No comments: