Friday, February 10, 2006

Finally Friday

Years ago I worked for an accounting firm and took the bus to and from work. On Friday afternoons I'd pop on the headphones to the walkman as I walked to the bus stop, and invariably hear this song played on the local country radio station at about the same time (4:50 p.m.):

Finally Friday

I got a hundred dollars smokin' in my billfold
I know I oughta save it but it's burnin' a hole
Right through my pocket and into my skin
Come Monday morning I'll be broke again.

It's finally FridayI'm free again
I got my motor running for a wild weekend
It's finally FridayI'm outa' control
Forget the workin' bluesAnd let the good times roll.

I got a little sugar baby down the road
She's sittin' on a radio and rockin' on roll
We'll dance up a storm and later all night
We'll be workin' on doin' all the wrong things right.

It's finally FridayI'm free again
I got my motor running for a wild weekend
It's finally FridayI'm outa' control
Forget the workin' bluesAnd let the good times roll.

--- Instrumental ---

Monday, I'll be hurtin with my head in a vice
Tuesday, I'll be wonderin' if I'll ever survive
Wednesday and Thursday, I'll be slowly tunin' in
Friday, I'll be revin' up my motor again.

Chorus again several times...

Don't know why I thought of it today - I don't regularly listen to that station anymore, although they do still (fifteen years later) play the song late Friday afternoon, along with another two or three that have similar sentiments. What I didn't know until today is that it was written by George Jones.

Speaking of whom, there is a very haunting story that goes along with a song from a CD he released a number of years ago - a song whose lyrics are secular, but with spiritual overtones that cannot be discounted in light of the events surrounding the songs success. More on that maybe later.

Weekend plans? To dinner tonight at a Mongolian barbeque with a couple of friends. Tomorrow morning, out to breakfast with another friend and a trip with her to the Domes. Bible study Sunday night. In between, laundry, cleaning, putting together a packet of information for the paperwork needed to begin a new church, putting together a budget, napping and movie-watching.

No comments: