Thursday, August 30, 2018

This and that

Thousands of motorcyclists and hangers-on have descended on the city for the 115th anniversary of Harley Davidson. Two years from now, if Milwaukee has the winning bid, it could be thousands of Democrats for the National Convention ahead of the 2020 Presidential election.

One group rides Hogs; the other deals in pork.

Of the two, I vastly prefer the motorcyclists.

Milwaukee's mayor is desperately trying to erase the preconception that Milwaukee is a small town without enough resources to host any sort of national event. He's right that the city is capable of much more than most people outside the five county area think, I'm just not sure hosting the convention is the way to show everyone.

On a related note, the first canvasser of the political season showed up on my doorstep the other night. It was, of course, dinner time. Now, my doorbell has mind of its own, peeling only when it feels like it. When it rings, however, it belts out the eight notes of the Westminster chimes in a slow, measured cadence, loud enough to set dogs to barking in the next county.

Yup, this was one time the doorbell did work.

The young lady with the clipboard and lanyard-strung ID badge said she was with the campaign for the Democratic candidate for US Senate, and she wanted to ask me some survey questions.

"This entire complex is posted no soliciting."

"I'm not soliciting - I'm not selling anything."

Well, nothing other than a load of garbage too many people are happy to buy into because it promises them something for nothing (which is actually something taken from those of us who work for something).

I am now scouring Amazon for a slightly rude "No politicians" sign for my front door. And maybe an NRA sticker. Note I'm an equal opportunity curmudgeon: I don't want people from either party bothering me.

On vacation next week, finding it difficult to concentrate at work this week.  I'd planned an outing to a fountain pen retailer a couple of hours north, but the pen I want is no longer available in the nib size I want (they only have extra fine left; the pen is not technically a limited edition, even though only 800 are available worldwide, but it means other sizes won't be restocked). There is, however, someone in Madison with the the pen in the nib I'd like, who wants to sell it. The up side? We'd meet in between, in the town that has a quilt shop I love. I still need to give her a firm answer. Her price is reasonable, and the pictures of the pen show it in great condition.

I first used fountain pens back forty (!!) years ago when I was in college. Did a bit of calligraphy as a hobby, then moved on to other things. The pens have found a great resurgence over the last ten years or so, with a staggering number of pens and inks available, expanding all the time. I use them for journaling and sketching. I'll eventually post a few of the pens I use, but will leave you with a teaser: one of the pens is made from basaltic lava from Mount Etna in Sicily.

No comments: