Thursday, June 11, 2015

Good work

I shared this over on Facebook, but wanted to elaborate a bit on my thoughts.

The linked article is a bit old, but deals with reaction to Shia LaBeouf's conversion to Christianity last year, and his continued potty mouth, even when describing the event.

The money quote from the article:

"It’s even worse when Christians expect instant holiness from recent converts..."

It's no wonder people resist the idea of coming to Christ. We preach total acceptance by Christ, "just as you are" - yet as soon as someone professes faith, we expect their behavior to change overnight.

God is a deeply personal god. He knows every bit of my history, my darkest thoughts, the things that make me happy or drive me to despair, the things I don't even want to admit to myself. He understands exactly where and how I'm broken. He forgives my sin, past, present and future, and commits to working in me to conform me more to the likeness of Christ.

Don't you think we should let Him work on us in His time, in the areas He sees our greatest need? That area and that timing are as personal as His knowledge of us. For some, the heart attitude needs to change before behavior will change. For others, the change of heart follows after the outward change of behavior. It's different for each one of us - and that is exactly as it should be.

Rather than picking at people, or even questioning the validity of their faith, we should be celebrating the work of God in their lives. Instead of scolding someone for continuing to swear, we should be asking. "So how is God working in you today?" Encourage growth, but let God choose the class schedule and curriculum.

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 1:3 - 6

The "good work" that God is doing is that of transforming our lives. Rejoice with one another that He continues to work individually, personally in us.

Pray for that work to bear fruit in our lives.

No comments: