Thursday, January 01, 2015

Happy New Year - now where's the coffee?

Four forty-two a.m. New Year's Day. A tad early to be up, but I'm practicing for going back to work next week. Better to deal with the midafternoon sleepiness when I'm in a position to take a nap that won't be a firing offense.

I'd make some observations about a new dawn, a new year and new opportunities, but dawn is still a couple of hours away. Besides, it's difficult to wax poetic before coffee.

But it still is a new year, the traditional start for new beginnings. I've set some loose goals for the year, a whopping total of four of them. They are organized around this verse:

"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength."
-Mark 12:30

Soul - Read through the Bible chronologically again this year. It's been four or five years since I've done this; I feel the lack.

Mind - Read two nonfiction books per month. The backlog on the Kindle, it doesn't go away, with most of those books (well, almost all) in the nonfiction genre. Time to reduce that list.

Strength - Seriously work on my health. Consistent diet and exercise. Regular sleep (well, I may already have that one pegged). Stress reduction.

Heart - Well, yeah. I haven't nailed this one down yet. I'm thinking about this in terms of what makes me happy, feeds my soul. Creating, playing in the studio, picking up new techniques, maybe going back to some crafts I've dropped in past years. Maybe growing flowers/bushes that I don't kill.

We'll see. And that is sort of the point of these artificial annual resets - for one shining moment, everything is potentiality.

The first actual act of my shiny new year? Finding a blasted cup of coffee.

No comments: