Saturday, December 20, 2014

On the first day of Christmas vacation...

I slept in about an hour - what bliss. Unfortunately, the call of nature could only be ignored for so long. Once up, up for good.

The night before I'd packed the totebag with the necessities for writing and mailing Christmas cards. I am woefully behind; most years, they are in the mail the Monday after the Thanksgiving weekend. I schlepped over to the local Starbucks I often visit, plunked myself down at the long table and started writing.

Due to an unknown computer/phone thing, all the contact information I had in my gmail contact list went poof some time ago*. As luck would have it, they are all mysteriously in my phone contact list (the gmail list is the one that is supposed to be the master list). took longer than it should have to address the cards, as I had to scroll through the contacts in the phone to find the addresses. The phone is new, so every now and then the "ooo - shiny!" grabbed hold of me, leading me down a rabbit trail or two.

The kindle fire came along, so I ran off a very odd Christmas movie while I worked. There was a cowboy angel, children miraculously rescued from a kidnapper who drove the car into a river and a dead dad returned to life. But hey, Mary Steenbergen. I really need to be more discriminating about the movies I watch.

Back home, lunch, then a shortish nap in the recliner. What? Naps are on the "fun things to do over Christmas break" list. (I really do have a list like that)

Menu planning and grocery shopping. I have until Monday night to change the order (delivered sometime 3:30 - 9 p.m. Tuesday), which is a good thing. I need to check the cupboards to see if I already have some of these things (no, not being really lazy - I did the order on the upstairs computer, and rather than have to run downstairs to check on things, I just included the ingredients in the order, and will check the pantry and adjust the order via the laptop once I'm back downstairs...the trials of a two story condo). James Beard's lemon chicken. My own Wendy's chili knockoff. Vegetable lasagna. Chicken soup. Potato and leek gratin. Cinnamon rolls and an egg casserole Christmas morning. Home made pizza Christmas Eve. Turkey vegetable soup. Twice baked potatoes.

Obviously not all at once. Several things are destined for the freezer - most of the soup, the twice baked potatoes, some servings of the lasagna.

Naturally, it is now dinner time and I haven't made any plans for dinner. Chinese, anyone?

Some cleaning/picking up yet tonight, along with a (better) Christmas movie. The goal for tomorrow is to do a tornado-type cleaning, running through the house and getting everything back into basic shape. I've big plans for tossing every room over the next two weeks, but I need a base of normal clean from which to start. Things have gotten a bit discombobulated over the last few weeks.

All in all, not a bad start.

*Sure, I just looked at gmail out of curiosity, and guess what? The contacts are all back. I've printed everything out, and I think I have the three addresses I thought I was missing, which means the phone list is not identical to the gmail list. Sigh. I really want to be able to tell the phone to sync to the gmail list, but that the g-mail list is its master. They've stupid proofed this new version of the phone in such a way that I can't always do what I want to do anymore (hello, task manager). Grr.

No comments: