Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Drive by. With food.

It's already been a long week. After an eleven hour work day on Monday, I was thoroughly convinced this afternoon that it was Wednesday, not Tuesday. Deep, deep disappointment when I realized my mistake, along with a resolve to never, ever work another twelve hour day. There are no emergencies in accounting, after all, no matter who thinks anything to the contrary.

I did work until just after five tonight ("normal" quitting time is 3:30 when you start at 7:30), which gave me time to actually cook dinner rather than run through a drive through. So - pan seared pork chops, sauteed cremini mushrooms in a white wine reduction and a twice baked potato with caramelized onions, bacon and cheddar cheese. All in half an hour.

Before you become too impressed, I should admit that the potatoes were made earlier and frozen, so just needed a half hour in the toaster oven. I had sliced up all the mushrooms Sunday, so they were ready to go. When the potato hit the fifteen minute mark, I pan fried the pork chop, then set it aside to rest. Saute the mushrooms in olive oil and butter. When they are done, splash in some white wine to deglaze the pan. Let it reduce by half. Add a little more butter to finish if you are feeling decadent, or French.

Throw the chop, potato and mushrooms on a plate; pour sauce over all.

Now I'm hungry again.

Thumbed through a sewing catalog today. It seems there is a use for the small wine rack that won't fit in my kitchen: holding rolls of embroidery stabilizer. The racks this catalog is selling for big bucks for that purpose certainly looked like wine racks. I'm planning to repurpose a CD file that looks like a library card catalog as a holder for spools of thread and assorted small sewing supplies.

Would that be a third purpose (card catalog, CD holder, sewing notion center), or only a second, as it was originally built as a CD holder, but made to look like an old card catalog?

Why yes, now that you mention it, it is past my bedtime.

Thus far, I've avoided catching the plague (flu) or the plague, junior (the flu-like norovirus making the rounds). No one brought either to the office yet, but I'm being extra anti-social just in case. TO all my friends who avoid vaccinations like the plague: for the record, I get a flu shot every year, and haven't had the actual flu since junior year of college.

Bronchitis, pneumonia, sinusitis, but not flu.

With that, I'm off to bed.

No comments: