Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Snow flakey

"That's right. You have to bring in treats on the day of the first snow."

So said someone standing outside my office, not ten minutes after returning from the annual office pot luck all-you-can-stuff-in-yourself-to-guarantee-an-afternoon-food-coma extravaganza.

Turning around, I glanced out the window, and sure enough, big, fat wet flakes were floating out of the sky. It's been 288 days since the last measurable snowfall; I'm surprised I recognized it.

On the other hand, the drive home tonight will be nuts, as Wisconsinites seem to forget from year to year how to drive in the first snow of the season. Now (finally) the weathercasters are saying we may have 1 - 3" this afternoon (as of 5 a.m. this morning it was still "flurries"), with my own area getting the smaller amount. Thursday during the day they are now predicting 4 - 6", again with my area receiving the smaller total. Or at least one hopes.

Tonight I get to haul out the pretty winter dishes with the embossed snowflakes and the higher lip (the better to keep the gravy from thick winter stews and roasts in place). The snow brush never made it out of the car back in April, and the snow boots live in a box just under the coat hooks at the bottom of the stairs, so I'm good to go on equipment.

Back to the treats...years ago our former payroll manager made a habit of bringing in doughnuts the day of the first snow of winter. If it snowed on a weekend and she happened to be working the weekend, she brought them in then (and we discovered and devoured the rest of them on Monday). Each of the two managers after her have continued the tradition.

We certainly don't need any more food, though. We had seven crockpots lined up on one counter, and a huge island filled with chips, salads, dips and side dishes. As is also tradition, the leftovers will be put out tomorrow (and the next day, if necessary) for lunch for whoever is interested.

That's why we stopped scheduling the pot luck on a Friday.

As much as I'd love to sit staring at the snow all afternoon, it's back to work for me. This is a lousy time to finally feel some holiday spirit, as I've certain things I would really like to finish before 2 p.m. on Friday, when a two week vacation begins for me.

Alternatively, I can leave myself really good notes so that I know when I get back exactly what didn't get done before I went on vacation.

That certainly sounds like a more realistic approach.

Update: I brushed just over an inch of heavy, wet "flurries" off of the car after work (good thing that snow brush was still in the car). Surprisingly, everyone on the interstate was well mannered and driving for the conditions. I think everyone was in shock that it finally snowed in Milwaukee.

No comments: