Tuesday, October 23, 2012

On the brain

Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 8(8)
Right Brain Dominance: 6(6)
Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
Stolen from Melissa.

Are we surprised? Well, no, but a short little quiz like this doesn't give the whole picture (I'd illustrate that with a story, but that is a right brain-dominant characteristic). These particular questions were all or nothing situations, when in truth, our answers to any given question may depend on the situation.

For example, "If I lost something, I'd try to remember where I saw it last" is an absolute "yes' for me if I've misplaced my keys. However, when I couldn't find the legs to the sewing extension table back in August, I pretty much tore the house apart looking for them (and indeed, found them in the one place I resisted looking because I "knew" I hadn't put them there).

(See, a point illustrated with a story - a right brain trait)

Honestly, I do think the whole right/left thing is a bit of bunk. Our educational system is set up to train the right brain right out of us as we move through the grades, ingesting more facts and figures, dates and data (see - facility with words - left brain trait). We are made "in the image of God"; the one thing that you can easily discern about God from looking at His creation is that He has some pretty impressive right brain power. If we are made in His image, we have that creativity in us.

Steven Altrogge has a delightful little book (workbook, almost) on that subject titled Create: Stop Making Excuses and Start Making Stuff. From the (not) introduction:
 
This little book is not only for creative, artsy fartsy types (I’ve always wanted to use the word “fartsy” in a sentence). I believe that God has given every single person creative gifts. Accountants have creative gifts. Painters have creative gifts. Car mechanics have creative gifts. Gas station attendants have creative gifts. You get the point. This book is intended to help you use those gifts. It’s intended to help you stop making excuses and start making stuff for the glory of God. It’s intended to be a proverbial kick in the pants to get you moving and shaking and creating for the honor of God.

Most of us won’t be Rembrandt or Monet or Warhol, but all of us can (and should!) use our creative gifts to serve God and others. That’s the point of this book. Thanks for reading this not introduction.
So what is your creative gift?

No comments: