Friday, April 20, 2012

Company Girls 042012

Greetings! Four hours until freedom...It has been a very long, very rocky spring, filled with hours and hours of overtime. The big push (but not the clean up) is done, and I am off from eleven today until next Wednesday. I have an unaccountable urge to channel Mel Gibson from Braveheart and yell "freedooooom!"

But I won't.

In today's small thing, Rachel Anne asks us to celebrate our history by finding an object around home that brings back a sweet memory.

For me, that object is a chunk of asphalt mounted on a paperweight.

The asphalt is a chunk of the racing surface of the Milwaukee Mile, dug up during the long-awaited resurfacing in 1995. The administration saved some of the chunks, glued them to paperweight bases along with a small plaque, "America's Legendary Oval - The Milwaukee Mile - 1995" to sell to raise money to fund the building of a small park. They vastly underestimated the market for the paperweights. I bought mine the first day of the sale; by the end of the week, all ten thousand were sold.

For almost twenty years, up until its dissolution in 2007, my mother and I were regulars at the ChampCar race at the Milwaukee Mile each June. ChampCars were the more sophisticated, faster, sleeker older brother of the rival IndyCar series. We'd spend all three days at the track, watching practices, going to driver autograph sessions, standing at the backfield fence feeling the wind as cars zipped past at better than 180 miles per hour.

At the end of the weekend, we'd go home from the race a bit sunburned, a bit gritty and smelling vaguely of burning rubber and methanol, but happy.

4 comments:

secondofwett said...

Sounds like a very special memory. They are so important. I

Rachel Anne said...

Love it!! Who wouldn't want a chunk of asphalt paperweight??? What a great memory. Some of my "memory pieces" are rocks and pieces of wood - things that simply remind me of special times. Nothing fancy, just good stuff.

Enjoy your FREEEEEDOM!

Catalina said...

Sounds like your freedom has been hard-earned! Enjoy it!

I thought about doing the small thing for today but you know, I really don't know anything that I would choose. So I just did a weekly update type post with some changes that are going on around here.

Joyce said...

I'm a little late in commenting on last week's posts, but here I am. =p Hope you enjoyed your freedom. =) Wow...10,000 sold!? And wow...180 mph?! I can't and don't want to imagine that. =p I do get carsick sometimes. We'll see if I get around to this week's link ups if there are any. =p Have a great one!