Sunday, November 16, 2008

Snippets 11-16-08

Freaky - Went to Starbucks yesterday afternoon to do some studying. Saw one friend to say hello to, didn't recognize another right away (sorry Holly!). Two women took a table across the room from me. At some point, I looked up and realized they had a quilt top spread out on the table in front of them. Couldn't resist - went over to introduce myself and talk quilting, and found out not only were both women quilters - they were both named Diane.

Flirtation - I am an exceptional flirt, as long as the person with whom I'm flirting is under two years of age. That's why I didn't immediately see Holly - eight month old Noah was making eyes at me. Hee - am I correct in thinking he smiled at me, but hadn't smiled for Holly?

Food - Went to Sendik's for the first time today. The place is a bit bipolar: meat and deli prices are through the roof, while some grocery staples are cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. They carry a bunch of imported specialty items, making it fun to peruse the shelves. Back when I was a kid (and they only had the one store instead of the seven or so now), going to Sendik's was a big deal. I'm not sure, but I think my grandmother was a cousin to the original founders (same last name, same hometown in Sicily).

Fabric - While doing a thorough dusting of my room (prep for a party later this week), I discovered a small box of fabric I'd forgotten about. It's all seasonal stuff - had I found it earlier, it has the perfect fabric for the table toppers for the Bloggy Giveaway winners. Sigh. And it is winners, plural; a strange confluence of lack of coffee, early hours, two posters with the same name and no blog, and over a hundred e-mails to sift through to find e-mail addys led to a bit of confusion, which I solved by awarding both.

Fellowship - The worship ministry teams are coming here this Friday for dinner and fun. The house is mainly clean - mostly needs dusting all over and another vacuuming. Except for the office/sewing room, which is a disaster (except for the desk, which was cleaned and dusted yesterday). I do think I'm forgetting something, but don't plan to stress about it. It is what it is.

Fumes - My eighteen month old stove has a self cleaning oven. In preparation for the party, I figured I'd run it through the cleaning cycle yesterday (Doesn't everyone clean their oven before a party? Not to mention clean the medicine cabinet, arrange the silverware drawer...). There wasn't much to clean, but the novelty of self-clean rather than me-clean was irresistible. Pretty stinky - the extremely high temp burned off the last of the factory coating. The funny part - three hours after the cycle was done, the oven door unlocked and the whole thing completely cool, my landlord called to ask if I smelled anything strange. I think he was asleep until then...

Feeling - lousy. Headache, body ache, stuffed up. Someone at work was nice enough to share the virus they had.

Music - (I'm out of alliteration) Today I found a new-to-me country oldies station. It took a bit to figure out how to find an AM station on the stereo (who listens to AM regularly?), but once I did, I've really enjoyed it. Should it worry me that I know more of these artists than the current ones?

It's going to be blustery and cold all week - highs only in the thirties. There was actually a little tiny bit of snow on the car this morning, the grainy stuff that accumulates on the windshield wipers and in the crack between the top of the door and the roof. I'm half ready; my new Totes snow boots are phenomenal - warm, waterproof and easy to get into. I still don't have a new snow brush for the car, though. Knowing how things work around here, we will most likely have our first real snowfall either on Thanksgiving, or on Black Friday - anything to tie up traffic.

No comments: