Friday, May 04, 2007

They don't make them like this anymore

No, I don't mean the dryer.

The lonely Maytag repairman called fifteen minutes ahead of his arrival to let me know he was on his way. Bob is semi-retired - he had double knee replacement surgery last year - and he still does repairs just so he can take a break from the "honey-do" list. It took him all of two minutes to figure out what was wrong (and I was wrong; the ignitor is fine, but the little boosters that raise the cap and let the gas in were shorted out) and maybe another six to fix it. He told me again to hold onto the appliances as long as I could (maybe a bit in hopes of future business), and seemed genuinely scandalized that new ones have only a ten year estimated life.

All in all, considering what I paid for the privilege, it was a pleasant experience.

Oh - and now that I have clean, soft clothes again, you all can come back.

No comments: