Tuesday, May 22, 2007

How to tick me off in five easy steps **UPDATED**

1. After receiving an e-mail from me asking questions on an attached spreadsheet, call me for "clarification" on the meaning of said spreadsheet, even though;
  • You receive the same spreadsheet from me with questions on a fairly regular basis.
  • The e-mail explains in words of two syllables or less exactly what I need.

2. After I tell you what I wrote, you insist another department is causing the problem, and imply that I should call them. Because you never make mistakes.

3. When I point out that the other department could do no such thing, you claim ignorance with regard to what caused the original problem.

4. Once I suggest one possible place to look for the solution, you breathe a sigh of relief as you blame your student help for causing the problem.

5. Say you will look into it, but don't get back to me with the answer.

**UPDATE** It took a day, but they did get back to me with the answer, and I actually received the related paperwork five minutes after the phone call. That may have something to do with the fact that I volunteered to do the entries to correct things (it's easier to do them myself; there's a better chance they will be done right) than any desire to win co-worker of the year.

No comments: