Thursday, April 05, 2007

Ah, the sweet sounds of spring T3

Via Terry, from Marc:

Every year at about this time, we get to open up the windows in the house/car and enjoy the sounds of spring coming out again (birds chirping, lawnmowers buzzing, car beatboxes booming). So please share with the rest of the gang:

1. What 3 sounds do you like to hear at your household?

2. What 3 sounds do you not like to hear at your household?

3. What 3 sounds will you always remember?

1. Dead silence. Just kidding. Well, maybe not.

One of the local churches has a carillon attached to their bells. Every evening at 6 p.m. they play a wonderful 8 - 10 minute concert. It plays year-round, but only when you have the windows open can you really appreciate it.

Like Terry, I enjoy hearing the kids play outside. The neighborhood didn't have a lot of families with young children when I moved in; that seems to be reversing itself.

The birds always sound so cheerful. There is a huge tree in the neighbor's back yard that all manner of avian visitors use for chirping festivals. The only drawback is that they start the festival the instant the eastern sky begins to lighten.

2. The guy down the block owns a nice-looking motorcycle. Apparently it does not run well, as every time he takes it out he needs to sit on the street and rev it repeatedly, both at the beginning and end of his ride.

The neighbor to the north likes to invite his friends to come and sit on the patio, enjoy some beverages and talk after work. They have fun, and I'm all for having groups of friends over. However, a few facts change the picture dramatically: the neighbor works a second shift that ends around midnight, the patio is pretty much directly outside my bedroom window, and I do not have air conditioning and leave my windows open pretty much from April 15th or so until mid-October. Oh - and I get up for work at 5 a.m. It's not so bad if it's only once a week or so; it was the four nights in a row stunt a couple years ago that put me over the edge.

Lawn mowers, weed wackers, tree trimmers and the like are necessary evils, but I do wish the manufacturers would find a way to make them sound better, if they can't make them quieter.

3. I played violin from 3rd grade through the first year of college. There really is nothing like being in the center of an orchestra during a performance. The music is swirling all around you, you can physically feel the pounding of the percussion and the wind generated by twenty bows moving in unison.

Can't really think of specifics on any more...

No comments: