Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Why do people do these things?

I worked like a crazy person to get some schedules finalized yesterday because one manager told me the auditors were asking for them (we give them 4 (four) 5-inch binders OVERSTUFFED with information the instant they walk in the door - what? - they got through all that in one day?)

So today the guy who actually puts the schedules in the books for the auditors after the manager reviews them comes into my office and says the auditors were asking today for those particular schedules, but that he wasn't going to give them to them until Friday.

?!

Okaaay... that only makes it look as if I'm not doing my job. The quicker they look at things, the quicker I can make the auditors go away and leave me alone. The one saving grace: every one of my schedules has a footnote in teeny tiny print with my initials, the file path, and the date and time printed. I can prove I'm not a sluggard.

This kind of thing makes me crazy. Dealing with auditors is a bit like being questioned as a hostile witness: answer yes or no and don't elaborate, volunteer nothing and do nothing to provoke them. We don't have anything to hide, but neither are we obligated to show them the holes in grannies undies. Withholding information that has been requested is a sure way to make them angry.

A quick apology: Heat wave + no air at work + extra work for audit + federal reporting deadlines looming + games-playing co-workers have me more than a little cranky. And yes, I'm well aware that it is my attitude that needs adjusting: I can't change the circumstances, but I can change how I react to them. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: